This week, NVMP’s Top 5 tackles our favorite drinking songs. It’s a little ambiguous of a topic, but we like to see where our editors go with them each week. While some lists are songs about drinking, others lists gravitate more towards songs enjoyed while drinking. We hope you enjoy what we’ve come up with this week! And we love hearing your comments and Top 5 lists!
Tina’s Top 5:
5. “One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Beer” by George Thorogood – The ultimate bar song, there’s something for everyone here!”
4. “Sosey Dosey” by Drink Up Buttercup – If you haven’t heard of Drink Up Buttercup, you better wise up fool! I think I consider this a drinking song because when I listen to it, I feel drunk; the yelling, the trash cans. It’s so much fun. They’re even better live, catch a show!
3. “Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar)” by The Doors – I always have a tavern tan while listening to this song…then I sing along with the descending scale and dance around. Good times.
2. “40 oz. to Freedom” by Sublime – “A 40 oz. to freedom is the only chance I have, to feel good even though I feel bad.” Well said.
1. “Drunken Lullabies” by Flogging Molly – Hands down, my favorite drinking song of all time! I sang some drunken lullabies with Flogging Molly just a few short weeks ago. Cheers!
Dan’s Top 5:
5. “Ballroom Blitz” by The Sweet
4. “Hot Mess” by Cobra Starship
3. “TiK ToK” by Ke$ha – This whole song describes one hot mess of a night, making it one of my favorite songs to get my drink on to.
2. “I’m Shipping Up To Boston” by Dropkick Murphy’s
1. “Around the Bend” by Asteroids Galaxy Tour – I spent many drunken afternoons last summer in my friend’s pool with Asteroids Galaxy Tour blasting in the backyard. Their music is a great throwback to the trippy music of the 60’s and 70’s and perfect background music for a chill evening of drinking.
Honorable Mention: “Kelly Watch The Stars” by AIR, “Just Dance” by Lady Gaga
Dave’s Top 5:
When it comes to spirits, almost any song will do, but to each of us our own drink poured, and different songs ring true…
5. “Bottom of a Bottle” by Smile Empty Soul
4. “Red Red Wine” by UB40
3. “Hey Bartender” by Hed P.E.
2. “Cold Gin” by KISS
1. “Whiskey In The Jar” Performed by Metallica (Cover- originally by Thin Lizzy, but the cover is sooo much better.)
Angela’s Top 5:
5. “One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Beer” by George Thorogood
4. “40 oz. to Freedom” by Sublime
3. “I Love College” by Asher Roth – It’s just a good time kinda song.
2. “Margaritaville” by Jimmy Buffet
1. “Barroom Hero” by Dropkick Murphy’s – Boston Irish…need I say more?
Mark’s Top 5:
5. “Small Town Girl” by Journey – Journey is one of the GO-TO bands for bar crawling alcoholics the world over. When in the company of drunks, take note on how many times that this fucking song is cranked and fist-pumped by near blacked out drunkards.
4. “Message in a Bottle” by The Police – I find myself playing this song again and again on benders, probably because I just love the Police…or because it’s just so AWESOME to slur along with.
3. “Bartender” by Hed PE – Only played because it is titled Bartender…by the way assholes, the song has absolutely NOTHING to do with drinking or having good times, no matter how many times you try and slobber out a lyrical explanation. The guy in the song orders a drink… that’s it.
2. “Ole Ole Ole” by The Bouncing Souls – It’s a rousing rallying cry, reminding everyone that they haven’t quite drank enough.
1. “One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer” by George Thorogood – I LOVE playing this song when drinking heavily, because it’s title is exactly what it implies, a man who has fallen on hard times turns to a colossal bender to solve his problems. Just try and not order the exact same thing every time he mentions this gut wrenching order. Makes for a fun drinking game as well…the last one standing gets to enjoy a day of hangover suffering the next day, while all the friends who tapped out early are enjoying the day.