Don’t deny it, you know you’ve done it. You’ve had a couple drinks at a bar on karaoke night and, with the help of liquid courage, taken the stage and sung a song. I worked at a karaoke bar for 2 and a half years, so I’ve seen everything from the depressed, drunken friend in a bridal party singing Jewel to an entire bar belting out Journey at the top of their lungs. This week, NVMP presents our favorite songs to karaoke!
Tina’s Top 5:
5. “Last Resort” by Papa Roach – I like the screaming part at the end, what can I say?
4. “Like A Virgin” by Madonna
3. “Come On Eileen” by Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Toora Loora Toora Loo-Rye-Aye, Eileen I’ll hum this tune forever.
2. “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen – Easy come, easy go, will you let me go? Bismillah! No, we will not let you go!
1. “Paradise by the Dashboard Light” by Meatloaf – A timeless classic, although that break with the baseball announcer takes forever!
Dan’s Top 5:
5. “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey – It’s just an awesome song that gets everyone singing.
4. “Friday I’m In Love” by The Cure
3. “Blister In The Sun” by The Violent Femmes
2. “Danger! High Voltage” by Electric Six – Not many people know the song, but it’s so much fun to sing.
1. “Take It Off” by The Donnas
Mark’s Top 5:
5. “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benatar – A good 80’s tune made creepy by countless drunks who suddenly feel “self-empowered” on Karaoke nights around the world.
4. “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy” by Big & Rich – If you think that you’re a cowboy because you hang out at the Colorado Cafe, then this song is your anthem, and you have sung along with this tune.
3. “New York, New York” by Frank Sinatra – What is it about Sinatra that has somehow convinced everyone that they can sing?
2. “Just Can’t Get Enough” by Depeche Mode – The one DM song that everyone knows, and everyone likes to pretend that they wrote.
1. “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey – This strangely infectious piece of sugar-rock makes me feel like my small town factory has closed, and I need to fist pump my frustrations away and sing along.
Dave’s Top 5:
5. Anything by Guns N’ Roses
4. “Mr. Brightside” by The Killers
3. “Man In The Box” by Alice In Chains
2. “Hotel California” by The Eagles
1. “To Be With You” by Mr. Big
It’s karaoke people, explanations are NOT necessary! 😉
Greg’s Top 5:
5. “Little Black Backpack” by Stroke 9 – Tina and I rediscovered this song a few years ago and it is one of the most fun songs to sing with friends – especially after a few drinks.
4. “Gold Digger” by Kayne West – This is the only song that I can actually rap – not well, but still – its rap.
3. “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga – I have never actually sang this song yet at karaoke, but I know I will love to once I get a chance, Ra Ra baby.
2. “Sweet Caroline” by Neil Diamond – This song reminds me of being a little kid and going to summer BBQ’s with my sisters and watching them get all excited and singing: SWEET CAROLINE (BUM BUM BUM) GOOD TIMES NEVER FELT SO GOOD (SO GOOD SO GOOD SO GOOD)!!
1. “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey – Cliché? Yes. One of, if not the best, drunken anthems ever? Absolutely.
Caroline’s Top 5:
5. “Let My Love Open the Door” by Peter Townsend
4. “My Sharona” by The Knack
3. “Walk of Life” by Dire Straits
2. “The Power of Love “ by Huey Lewis & The News
1. “Born To Run” by Bruce Springsteen
Angela’s Top 5:
5. “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor – An absolute classic, I don’t care what your taste in music is, you know the words and sing them when you hear this song -so much fun.
4. “Paradise by the Dashboard Light” by Meatloaf – Again…how can any group of guys and girls not belt this out at the top of their lungs?
3. “Livin’ on a Prayer” by Bon Jovi – A party time favorite. It doesn’t even need reasoning.
2. “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper – Walk by a bar full of women out on a girls night, chances are you’re gonna hear this one loud and out of tune.
1. “Summer Lovin’” from Grease – Again…do I really need to explain myself? You know you know the words and you’re singing it…right…now.