Klone’s #2 Song of All Time
2. “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana (1991) – Goodbye 1980s and pop rock. Goodbye all conventions of popular music. Goodbye big hair and make-up, and repetitive, catchy lyrics about lust and being loud. Nirvana changed the entire scope of music with the 1991 release of their album Nevermind, driven by the first track and first single from the album “Smells Like Teen Spirit”. This song opened the doorway for alternative rock to dominate the mainstream. The track was instantly consumed and celebrated by a young audience, heralded by Generation X as its new anthem, and a clear sign that the previous generation’s artists (bands like Warrant, Motley Crue, Winger) were no longer the flavor of choice for modern rock fans. The emergence of Nirvana harkened back to other game-changing acts like the Sex Pistols, and even Jimi Hendrix.
Tina’s #2 Song of All Time
2. “Jessica” by The Allman Brothers Band – This song puts the biggest smile on my face. It’s a seven minute instrumental song and every second is pure ecstasy to my ears. This song is probably where my love of the Hammond organ came from. I could dance forever to this song, it brings out my inner hippie. “Jessica” is a must for any road trip on a beautiful day.
Dan’s #2 Song of All Time
2. “What You Waiting For?” by Gwen Stefani – When I heard Gwen was going solo, I was intrigued, and her first solo single blew me away. I fell in love with it instantly, and I loved the video. The hook was catchy, you could get up and dance to it, and it was undeniably Gwen.
Mark’s #2 Song of All Time
2. “Flaming June” by BT – One of the first BT songs that I made an emotional connection with. The more I listen, the deeper of a chord that it strikes within me, as it usually acts as a soundtrack for my trips down memory lane.
Greg’s #2 Song of All Time
2. “Poprocks & Coke” by Green Day – This is a song that not only illustrates a time in my life, but a theme of my life as well. I really try to treat my friends this way, “you know I’ll be there”, as I know that my friends will be there for me. This was a hard choice seeing as there are so many Green Day songs that I truly love, but this one sticks out. It’s just such a simple anthem of friendship, true and lasting friendship.