Klone’s #3 Song of All Time
3. “Enter Sandman” by Metallica (1991) – This was the song that made it “ok” for anyone to listen to metal. The first cut off of their self-titled 1991 album Metallica (commonly known as The Black Album), this song single-handedly propelled the band to a status of popularity unseen by metal bands prior, and solidified them as a pop-culture power-house. Bringing their rough and edgy sound out of the shadows of the underground metal circles (that had already hailed the band as gods amongst men), and making them a household name, “Enter Sandman” also served as a fierce retort to the 1989 Grammy Awards, where Jethro Tull beat out Metallica for the Best Heavy Metal Album award. (The 1989 Metallica Album …And Justice For All lost to Tull’s Crest of a Knave at the 1989 Grammy Awards). The popularity of this song made Metallica the litmus test for heavy metal going forward. (This was also the first song I ever learned to play on bass.)
Tina’s #3 Song of All Time
3. “Under Pressure” by Queen and David Bowie – I think about this song on a daily basis. I just love everything about it, the music, the lyrics, the beats, the um bu bu bum da de’s, the feeling I get when I hear it (not to mention the obvious connection between anyone’s life and these lyrics) and the fact that performing this masterpiece are legends Queen and David Bowie, together! There is an uplifting part of the song, when Freddy Mercury says “why can’t we give love that one more chance?” It gives me the image of a pressured day/week/life eventually getting better. Ee day da – that’s o’kay!
Dan’s #3 Song of All Time
3. “Out of Control (State of Emotion)” by Kenna – I got this song as one of iTune’s Discovery Downloads one Tuesday, but didn’t listen to it immediately. When shuffle finally landed on this song, I fell in love with it and Kenna’s music. This song captures the feeling of having your world engulfed by the joy and uncertainty of love and not being able to do anything about it.
Mark’s #3 Song of All Time
3. “Spirits in the Material World” by The Police – My favorite rock band ever with one of the catchiest and danceable songs to ever come out of the 80s. While it may seem that the synth riff purposely layered over the guitar muffles their reggae influences and cheeses up the song, to me it makes the song a lot more fun and still pretty badass.
Greg’s #3 Song of All Time
3. “Obla-Di Obla-Da” by The Beatles – This is my favorite Beatles song, and number three of my favorites of all time. “Obla-di Obla-da life goes onnn na na na na life goes on,” I really try to live my live this way. The sun will rise and tears will fall, but life goes on. There is nothing so serious that we can’t get over one day, life goes on. Also now it doesn’t hurt that in the song they talk about a man named ‘Desmond’ – shame he’s not on an island 😉